Saturday, January 13, 2007

Jim Carrey's Top 10

I'm a big fan of Jim Carrey - have been ever since Ace Ventura! He is a brilliant comic actor, but has tried to venture over to serious roles in recent years - some are great, some are not so great. In his next film, he once again ventures into a serious role; The Number 23. I've embedded the trailer for your viewing pleasure below:

So, looks pretty gritty and creepy, and for some reason it sounds as though his voice has been pitch-shifted down! It's directed by Joel Schumacher who hasn't made a bad film since Batman and Robin! However, I may wait for it to come out on DVD, as it's not a typical Carrey role.

So to celebrate the genius that is Jim Carrey, here are my top 10 favourite performances of his and the reasons behind them.

10. Me, Myself and Irene

This film didn't do too well on release, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps the fact that in places it might be a bit too politically incorrect (having three black sons, taking the mickey out of a very pale, if not albino, boy, thinking he'd killed a cow, but it wasn't quite dead so he ends up putting quite a few bullets through it!), but it's still hilarious, when he finally looses it with the townsfolk and lets his feelings known! I suppose the one thing annoying about his alter-ego is the voice he does is a little too deep and quiet so it's difficult to hear his punchlines.

9. Bruce Almighty
Not so high on my list, purely because I don't think it's as funny as other films he's starred in. Still some great classic scenes, including when he's trying to answer everyones prayers and he covers the room in post-its! It was also one of the first times I saw another genius, Steve Carell, in action. I hope the sequel matches, if not surpasses, this original.

8. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Okay, so this film isn't so funny, and not particularly great, but he shines as a great character actor and I just love how Count Olaf is comically evil.

7. The Mask
One of the first films I ever saw staring Carrey, and he definitely made an impression on me. His hyperactive behaviour is perfect for this kinetic role. I can think of a few great quotes, such as 'not the cheese, the keys' - I say that all the time!

6. Ace Ventura
The first time I ever saw Carrey and think this role really catapulted him to being one of the most in demand character actors of the nineties. So many funny scenes and quotes, such as when he's in the empty tank and is really close to the fish eye lense, saying a number of very funny things!

5. Dumb and Dumber
Ohh this film is so good. So many moments of pure comic genius, such as 'my hands are so cold,' 'do you want to borrow one of my sets? My hands were beginning to sweat.'

4. Liar Liar

This film combines comedy and drama to crossover his comedic talents with more serious roles, as before this he was only starring as comedy characters. I love the lines in this too ('the pen that I am holding in my hand is rrrrooooyaaallll blue'), as well as his performance in the court room. Great outtakes in the credits too.

3. The Grinch
So he's a bit unrecognisable in this role, but as soon as he opens his mouth, you know it's him. Ron Howard is an amazing director (which helps), and Jim is again great as an evil character, but also lovable at the same time! His energy is suited to this crazy Seuss mileu! Also pleased that he is playing Horton's voice in an animated version of the classic (and my personal favourite) Dr Seuss book, Horton Hears a Who, which is due for release in 2008.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A surprising role, in which he plays the straight man and Kate Winslet plays the energetic nut! He shows off his real acting talent and abilities, which has given him critical acclaim and acting kudos. Also some funny moments which remind us that he is perfect for the role rather than any other straight man.

1. Man on the Moon
My favourite role of his by far! He portrays the life of Andy Kaufman brilliantly and I don't think anyone else would have been able to pull it off, as the film combines Andy's comedy with the dramatic moments in his life. Andy was a complex character and was sometimes hated for his elaborate stunts, and yet Jim brings a compassionate side of him for us to see to try to begin to understand why he did the things he did. I think the saddest thing about his death was that no one believed he was actually dying; they thought he was doing another one of his stunts. A wonderful performance and guaranteed to make me cry at the end!

Just in case you don't know the original 'Mighty Mouse' sketch on Saturday Night Live - here it is below, but he actually performs 'Pop goes the Weasel'


Specific mention for The Truman Show, The Cable Guy, and Batman Forever (only for his role!) who unfortunately couldn't make my top 10, but I still love them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home