Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Upcoming movies I can't wait to see!


As I've been reading the latest Empire, I'm getting rather excited about some upcoming films. The first is The Prestige which is directed by the brilliantly talented (and English) Christopher Nolan, and stars the equally talented Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and a brief appearance from David Bowie! (I used a still from the film as the poster looks pretty poor!) Basically Bale and Jackman play rival magicians in turn-of-the-century London who battle each other for trade secrets. The rivalry is so intense that it turns them into murderers. The title refers to the product of a successful trick. It looks amazing and the story is very intriguing. It's based on a book, but Nolan says not to read it before seeing the film! Darn it!

The second film is Hollywoodland with Ben Affleck playing George Reeves (actually looks quite like him! I guess he didn't mind eating some pies for this role! What dedication as an actor!) - the original Superman from the 50's TV show. It's a uniquely compelling exploration of fame and identity, inspired by one of Hollywood's most infamous real-life mysteries. I became aware of Reeve's mysterious death around the time of Bryan Singer's latest Superman movie where there were a few television specials about the history of the character. It seems even more interesting by the fact that it looks like Adrien Brody's character reveals what really happened to him. I love to see films based on real events - I think The Black Dahlia looks interesting for the same reason, although I'll probably wait to see that on DVD.

The next film is a comedy starring the amazingly funny Will Ferrell - Stranger than Fiction. It's about Will's character constantly hearing his life being narrated by Emma Thompson. I can just see him flipping out now! I know I would if that happened to me! Should be a good laugh around Christmas time!

The next film I have chosen is Babel. This looks like a pretty complicated storyline as all it says on IMDB is: "Three stories set in Morocco, Tunisia, Mexico and Japan. The story begins with a tragedy striking a married couple on vacation." That couple is Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett - so two good reasons to see it, plus Gael Garcia Bernal! Yummy and amazing! Plus it's directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (sorry I don't have the ability to put accents on the letters!), who directed one of my all time favourite films - Amores Perros (Love's a Bitch). I think it will be in the same vein as that, and I guess a bit like Crash too.

Films I will be seeing in the next following weeks are The Departed (hopefully tonight), The Grudge 2 and Borat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home