Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Overpowering Power of Teleshopping!


I don't know about you, but for some reason everytime I happen to come across teleshopping I start laughing at people's stupidity for actually buying the crap they're selling, but then feel strangely compelled to buy it myself! This has happened to me twice now, and it's actually scary how the feeling takes over you. Luckily both times I have stopped myself from picking up the phone and buying the rubbish I'll never use! The first instance was a 'lateral thigh trainer'! It seemed perfect for me. I have large thighs and it targets them perfectly. It looked like so much fun from the infomercial and so easy to loose inches off of your thighs and bum. I immediately called my boyfriend instead of the number on the screen to say 'I've seen this exercise stepping machine on TV which looks great for me, but tell me not to buy it!' I think they said it was £80 and I knew that was a bit too much for me to justify, and ended up getting the same kind of thing in Argos for £50 - which might I add I never use anymore; turns out it's not as fun as it looked on the ad!

The second instance happened to me before work the other day. Again it started with 'you can buy this and this for only *blank* pounds and then you can get this and that for just *blank* pounds!' I didn't know what they were selling for about 5 minutes as they were pitching all the stuff you could buy...but then the infomercial started from the beginning again and it was Anthony Robbin's motivational lectures and seminars on DVD's and magazines. (If you don't know who he is, he's the guy who makes Jack Black see Gwenyth Paltrow as skinny in Shallow Hal. This is his website.) As he started to describe why his DVD's are so good for people's confidence and self believe, I began to think 'yeah, that's exactly what I need.' Lately I've been a bit depressed in my job, and don't really have much confidence in my myself and my abilities and I thought to myself I need to get some inspirational words of wisdom from Anthony Robbins and then my life will be great...but then I had to finish getting ready for work and turned the TV off! I recognised I was getting sucked in, and quickly moved away from it, just like before. The DVD's might have actually helped me, but I don't need to buy it through a television - I have the internet to find stuff like that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home